Brrrrrr… We just had the coldest Christmas Day that we’ve had in a long time. Since we’re all eating a bit lighter now to counteract all of our heavy holiday eating AND we need something to warm us up, I thought this would be the perfect time to add this hearty black bean and sweet potato soup recipe.
This Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe Is Easy!
One thing that I love about this recipe is that it’s very quick to make! You simply chop a few veggies and open a few cans, then throw it all together with some spices in a pot! Because there’s not much to prep and only one pot involved, clean up is a breeze!
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 15- oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 c. frozen corn
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and add red onion and bell peppers.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro and fresh lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!