This delightful cranberry spritzer recipe is a delicious way to celebrate the holiday season. Here, the classic flavor combination of cranberry, orange, and cinnamon is complemented by the unexpected addition of cumin. Add a little vodka for a fun adults-only treat, or skip it for a pleasant mocktail everyone can enjoy. Cheers!
Spiced Cranberry Spritzer
- 1 c. fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¼ c. honey
- ½ c. water
- 2 Tbsp. whole cumin seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 c. unsweetened cranberry juice
- 2 medium organic oranges each cut into 8 wedges
- 3 c. sparkling water
- ½ c. vodka (optional)
- additional cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 6 long rosemary sprigs, lower leaves removed, and threaded with fresh cranberries (optional)
- Add cranberries, honey, water, cumin seeds, and cinnamon sticks to a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until the honey is melted and the spices are intensely fragrant.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large glass or other non-reactive bowl.
- Add cranberry juice, orange wedges, and vodka, if using.
- Refrigerate for several hours to overnight.
- Once thoroughly chilled, remove from refrigerator and firmly squeeze each orange wedge into the bowl to capture the juice before discarding.
- Strain mixture with a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- To serve, fill serving glasses with ice and add enough of the seasoned cranberry juice mixture to fill each glass about 1/3 full.
- Top off each glass with sparkling water and stir to combine.
- Taste and sweeten with additional honey, if desired.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks and/or rosemary skewers and serve immediately.